Sometimes a little movement is all you need to make an activity engaging. This uppercase and lowercase letter matching activity has both a spinner and a slider. Kids spin the spinner to get a capital letter. Then, they slide the slider to the matching lowercase letter. There’s an optional recording sheet too!
For more interactive ABC fun, grab our Alphabet Emergent Readers!
You’ll notice that there are initial sound phonics pictures next to each letter on the spinners and the recording sheets. This activity doesn’t emphasize letter sounds, but I put them there for reinforcement. The recording sheets also have each word written out for additional exposure to print.
Spin and Slide Letter Matching Activity
This is an easy prep activity. The free printable pages include 4 spinner circles, 4 slider strips, and matching recording sheets.
- Print and cut out the spinner circles and slider strips. Laminate if desired.
- Then, glue each spinner circle to a paper plate.
- Next, make a slot for the slider strips: use sharp small scissors or an Exacto knife to cut two lines on the rim of the plate.
- Finally, thread the slider strip through the cuts.
- You may also want to fold over the ends of the strip to keep the kids from pulling it all the way out.
I photographed this activity with a paperclip and pencil spinner. If your kids aren’t up for the added challenge of managing that, you can use a more traditional spinner like we made for our recent vowel team activity.
Have kids spin for a capital letter, slide the slider to the matching lowercase letter, and then trace the letters on the recording sheet. They can do this independently, or you can sit with them and talk about the letter sounds as well.
For kids who prefer more of a game, you could reverse things. Have them choose a letter on the slider, then spin until they land on the matching capital letter. They can count the number of times they need to spin to see which letter “wins” with the fewest spins required.
Whichever way you play, I hope this spin on letter learning is a hit with your kids!
Grab Your Copy
Ready to practice your letters? Grab your copy of the Spin and Slide Letter Matching by clicking the blue button below! Then, hop on over and try these Sight Word Butterflies!
More Letter Recognition Activities
Latest posts by Heather (see all)
- Winter Rhyming CVC Words Activity - December 12, 2017
- CVC Word Building Gingerbread Printable Literacy Center - November 13, 2017
- Spin & Slide Letter Matching Activity - August 8, 2017