For kids just learning about Silent E, long vowels may seem a little alien. You can give them some extra practice with this engaging, space themed Silent E board game!
My kids have been asking me about aliens lately, and so they came to mind when I thought about making a Silent E phonics activity. I love that I was able to find cute, smiling aliens!
One of my twins has let her imagination go wild lately when it comes to extraterrestrials. She used to love everything that had anything to do with space, and last year in kindergarten said she wanted to be an astronaut when she grows up. Then she read a book at school that mentioned aliens.
She hadn’t wanted anything to do with space until I showed her this little game board. I made a point of pointing out the smiling green faces, and suddenly she was eager to play. Hooray for small victories!
Silent E Board Game
Materials & Preparation
I looked everywhere for our plastic space figures. They’d be perfect to use for pawns in this game. Sadly, I couldn’t find them. I suspect they were abducted by a first grader!
Here’s what you need to play:
- Game board
- Word cards – cut apart and stack face down
- Die or spinner
- Pawns – plastic space figures, pennies, dried beans, etc.
Get Set, Play!
Tell the kids that silent e words are so different from short vowel sound words, that they’re like aliens.
The game cards each have two words on them. One is a CVC (short vowel word), and one is a CVCE (silent e) word. Players will read the Silent E word whenever they land on an alien.
Here are the step by step instructions:
- Roll or spin, and advance that many spaces on the game board.
- Draw a card. If you landed on an alien, read the “alien e” word (also known as silent e or magic e.) If you landed on a planet, asteroid, or star, read the short vowel word.
- Take turns and advance around the board and back to the start. Each player chooses which way to go around the loop.
- The first player to return to the start is the winner.
RELATED ACTIVITY: CVCe Emergent Readers
I hope your kids enjoy this silent E game as much as my girls did. You can use it as part of space theme activities or as an engaging reading center game. Enjoy!
Download the Silent E Game
Ready to Play? Grab your copy of the Space Silent E Game by clicking the blue button below!
Then, hop over and grab our fun Ice Cream CVCe Puzzles!