We are enjoying the warmer weather and everything turning green again! With the warmer temperatures comes rain of course, so we are finding fun ways to celebrate Spring inside! Spring and gardening are two of my favorite themes to build a lesson around! This Flower Garden Fine Motor Play activity is a perfect way to encourage exploration through learning!
*Pair with our Spring Centers & Activities for Pre-K/Kindergarten!
Flower Garden Fine Motor Play
A simple set up with play dough and a few crafting items you have on hand can turn into a flower garden activity!
This simple activity is wonderful for building imagination as well as working on fine motor skills. The Flower Garden Invitation To Play can also be easily paired with Spring books too!
- Play dough (store bought, homemade, anything will do!)
- Spring/Garden Themed Cookie Cutters
- Play Dough Tools
- Pipe Cleaners
- Beads, Pastic Gems, Pom poms, Buttons (anything to decorate your flowers!)
Once you have set up your Invitation To Play Flower Garden, you let your child or students explore! It is so fun to see what they come up with on their own.
RELATED RESOURCE: April Clip Card
Giving an example is not necessary, but I enjoy exploring alongside my children! This way, I can ask specific questions to get their minds moving and creating!
We created a whole bouquet of flowers by the time we were finished! Some conversation prompts I used were:
- Where do you think flowers grow?
- What type of things do they need to grow?
- What type of things do YOU need to grow?
- How can we take care of flowers and plants?
- Can we name all the parts of a flower?
- What kind of flower are you creating?
Invitation to play and fine motor lessons are my favorite way to introduce a new theme or topic to my children. It is always a little less structured but we learn so much through play and exploration! We hope you enjoy exploring and creating with your children and students as well!
You might also want to see our FREE Alphabet Play Dough Mats for the Year!